Smart Optimization on Trane® XL824 and XL850 Thermostats
XL824 and XL850 series (non-zoned) thermostats have a feature called Smart Optimization, which is enabled by default on the thermostat. Smart Optimization is used to:
How Does Smart Optimization Work?
Smart Optimization adjusts the thermostat's optimal settings by running cycles of the blower along with cooling or heating calls. As these cycles run, the system collects temperature and runtime data at the thermostat temperature sensor. It uses this data to calibrate the thermostat's internal operation with the air handler/furnace and outdoor unit or heat pumps. Smart Optimization runs multiple cycles to pinpoint data and validate the adjustments. The entire process and internal adjustments to the thermostat are automatic; no user input is required.
Smart Optimization takes approximately 90 minutes to complete, during which the heating and cooling operations are disabled. The thermostat screen will indicate that the thermostat is in Smart Optimization mode, and its operation can be deferred or disabled if needed.
- NOTE: When the Smart Optimization cycle has completed, it will automatically set itself to Disabled and it will not run again unless manually re-enabled.
My dealer just installed my thermostat. It was fine, but now it's making cooling and heating calls that I didn't request. What's going on?
Since Smart Optimization is enabled by default, it will run approximately 12-18 hours after the new system is installed unless the installer disabled it. These HVAC calls can be ignored if Smart Optimization Mode is currently running.
I don't want Smart Optimization to run right now. Can I delay it?
Yes, you can delay the cycle for an additional 12-18 hours. Touch and hold the screen for 5 seconds, and the thermostat will revert to normal operation (heating or cooling, as set by the thermostat) and will attempt to run the Smart Optimization tests again in approximately 12-18 hours.
How Do I Enable or Disable Smart Optimization?
- On the thermostat, press Menu.
- Select Smart Optimization.
- Tap Enabled to run Smart Optimization or Disabled to disable it.
- Press Apply.
- If you have enabled Smart Optimization, it will execute in approximately 12-18 hours. If you have disabled Smart Optimization, it will not run again unless you enable it.
Why is Smart Optimization not enabled? (Or why did my dealer disable Smart Optimization?)
There are a few different possibilities:
- Most Likely: Smart Optimization only runs one cycle. After the series of tests is complete, it is set back to DISABLED. This is normal.
- Possible: After a new installation, your dealer may have already determined the optimal configuration and placement for the control, sensors, and operation with your new air handler/furnace or outdoor unit/heat pump. They may have disabled Smart Optimization to avoid running the calibration cycle.
- Other: Your dealer may have disabled Smart Optimization to avoid unexpected heat or cooling calls occurring shortly after the initial installation.
- Other: If your dealer installed the heating or cooling unit(s) during a period of extreme outdoor temperature, they may have disabled it. It is best to avoid unexpected overrides to the indoor temperature settings when there are extreme temperatures outside.
Smart Optimization is not enabled. Will it cause any harm to turn it on?
No, just be aware that you may hear the blower and system components cycling during the calibration. It is should not cause any harm to enable it; it will just run the cycle and re-calibrate the temperature-sensing again.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact Trane Home Customer Support via email at email@example.com or call 1-877-288-7707, Monday-Friday 9 AM – 8 PM ET, and Saturday 10 AM – 5 PM ET.